How To Create Your
Sleek Sophisticate Home Style
Having a forever house is like being in a committed, long-term relationship. There are qualities you may LOVE about your partner (your house in this scenario), but there also may be things you DON’T like…. and the areas where your personalities clash may be causing “compatibility issues.”
These “compatibility issues” usually arise when there is a disconnect between the natural bent of your home’s architecture and your own style preferences.
They manifest themselves when you try to decorate your home but nothing seems to work or you’re too overwhelmed to even try!
But there’s a way for you and your forever house to CREATE A RELATIONSHIP & BRING OUT THE BEST in each other!
Steps to a Sleek Sophisticate Style "Relationship"
So — here’s the compatibility issue: Your house has mostly modern/minimalist elements, and you like things simple & sophisticated, too … but there are a couple of different directions modern style can go, and it’s confusing you.
A style like Sleek Sophisticate — which employs contemporary furnishings mixed with the best of vintage modern — can address both these directions.
First, ask yourself these questions:
- Do you prefer curves or squared silhouettes?
- Do you prefer a more “formal” or more “casual” feel?
Based upon your answers, try the following:
- Make sure that most of your major upholstery have silhouettes that are consistent. If you like curves, make sure that the arms have slopes. If you like squared, make sure they have squared arms. Upholstery bases can have block or metal legs, or bases built to the floor.
- If you prefer a more formal aesthetic, bring in pieces with a little shine. Metallics like nickel and brass. Fabrics with a soft, sophisticated hand like wool, velvet, tightly-woven linen, and satin. Wood finishes that glow with a subtle sheen.
- If you prefer a more casual aesthetic, use pieces in matte finishes. Metallics in matte black, bronze, or pewter. More textural fabrics like nubby weaves, chenilles, and chunky linen. Wood finishes that show the grain or are rougher-hewn.
- Approach your furniture as you would sculpture — it’s all about highlighting the shape! Curating vintage pieces will help you create that one-of-a-kind collection.
- Keep your fabric patterns still & quiet, with a mix of solids and tone-on-tone subtlety. Let your art do the talking!
Overlay ANY COLOR palette you wish -- that's where your own
personality can really shine through!
Your Curated Resources
To support your new vision for your Forever Home’s transformation, I’ve put together some resources just for you!
- A popular blog post on shopping auctions to find those fabulous one-of-a-kind vintage pieces.
- My curated collections of high-quality modern sofas & modern lounge chairs so that your foundational upholstery pieces are spot-on with your style … AND will stand up to 10-20 years of kids & pizza parties!
- Some modern ceiling lighting you’ll love.
- The portfolios of one of my favorite formal designers in this style, and one of my favorite casual designers in this style.
- My FREE Real Design Budgets room by room (updated for 2022) — so you can know what to expect to spend on the pieces that will get the most wear & tear.
Wondering WHY I'm qualified to give this advice?
Hey! I’m Amy.
And I was once that clueless Forever Homeowner, just like you!
When the info I needed to transform my newly-acquired forever house into the Forever Home I envisioned wasn’t available, I decided to boot-strap it and learn design from the ground up. I eventually turned my passion into a full-time career!
That was 10 years ago. Wow, time flies! These days, I:
- Have owned my interior design company, Home Glow Design, for more than 6 years.
- Have a whole bunch of happy Forever Home clients & more than a dozen magazine-published projects to my credit.
- Reach nearly 60,000 readers every month through Home Glow’s “Saturday Blog.”
- Teach my hard-earned lessons learned to design enthusiasts like you through my interior design course for homeowners, The Home Glow Method ®.
My passion is helping YOU create your forever home with the character, quality, & comfort that will stand the test of time!
Because NOBODY likes wasting $$$ on
furniture that will be in the landfill in 5 years!!!
So what's next???
Congratulations! You’ve taken the important first step (understanding what style is compatible for both you AND your home) toward transforming your forever house into the Forever Home you dream of.
I’m here to help guide you on that path, whether:
- You’re a brand new homeowner,
- You’ve owned your home for 10 years and are just starting to sift through accumulated hand-me-down furniture,
- Or you’re an empty-nester *finally* getting to decorate your home the way you’ve always wanted.
Shortly, you’ll receive an email with these results in PDF form, so that you can keep them handy. Then, I’ll sending you a few more over the next few weeks with some of my most useful tips, tricks, and design trade secrets from Home Glow’s “Saturday Blog” that will get your creative juices flowing.
And be sure to explore the archives as well — there are more the 250 posts full of inspiration!